As a developer of Portal-apps, you automatically earn money from people who have your app installed. The monetization scheme aligns incentives in a way that works best for everyone.
App monetization processes are not yet implemented. You cannot profit from them yet and their implementation - when completed - might differ from this description.
Portal's monetization scheme for app developers aligns incentives in a way that works best for everyone. App developers receive a monthly payment that scales with the number of installed app instances and users have no additional cost when installing apps, so they are not discouraged from doing so. The process is also very low-effort for both parties with regard to setup and maintenance.
Payment and Decision Flow
The monetization scheme consists of the following steps that are executed at a regular interval (most probably each month).
- Part of each user's monthly subscription fee is a mandatory flat app payment of a few euros.
- The Portal monitors which app are installed during each month and for how long.
- From that, the Portal calculates a distribution, weighing each installed app.
- It notifies the user of the calculated distribution and allows them to make changes.
- It sends the distribution to our payment backend.
- We split the flat app payment of that Portal according to the distribution and book the amount to the app developer's balance.
- The app developer may withdraw their current balance manually or have it sent automatically to their account.
This monetization scheme creates beneficial incentives for all involved parties.
For App Developers
As an app developer, you have an incentive to build apps that are useful or delightful to many users. If they install it, you are compensated.
But since you are compensated each month for as long as users keep your app installed, you profit from continuously maintaining and updating your app.
In addition, you profit more the fewer other apps a user has installed. This is the case if your app covers many use-cases and is versatile.
For Portal Users
As a Portal user, your flat app payment is a constant and mandatory part of your Portal's price tag. There is not a single additional thing you must do to enable it. And no matter how many or few apps you use, you always pay the same amount.
This makes paying for apps a nobrainer. It means that you can install and try apps as much as you want without a second thought.
But if there is an app you particularly like, you can give it a boost and allocate an additional share of your flat payment to that app.